Friday, August 12, 2011

water fast, day 7 of 7 -- over!

Well, this was weird -- breaking the fast was a huge letdown.
I had a little trepidation about breaking it because I didn't really want to -- if I had more time I'd have gone on for a few more days. I'm enjoying the emotional/spiritual element a lot, the feeling of peace and contentment and stability. I don't want to let that go! Alas, duty calls, and starting tomorrow I need to be responsible and engaged with other people. And won't be able to lay down every time the mood strikes me.
Previously my first taste of juice has given me a huge appetite and has been hugely enjoyable! This time the juice tasted ok and I had just one glass of it diluted with water and had no urge for more.
I've been a little nauseous all day and perhaps I've interrupted some healing process. Still nauseous now. I've read that fasts should be broken when you're feeling well rather than poorly.
On the flip side, it's great to stand up without getting low-blood-pressure blurry vision! Even from the one glass of juice I was able to walk home (from a friend's who has a juicer) at a normal pace and without resting. Yesterday I was moving at... shall we say... a dignified saunter.
I hope to do another fast of this type soon, maybe in a few months, as my schedule permits.
I've found a bunch of protocols for breaking a fast but the basic idea seems to be that since the stomach has stopped producing enzymes, start with small amounts of easily digested food and work up from there, giving the stomach time to catch up. This ends up meaning 1 or 2 days of juice, another 1 or 2 days of juice + juicy fruit, a couple days of juicy fruit + raw veg salads, then start adding small amounts of nuts. They say this will lead to regaining the least amount of weight -- a definite goal of mine! I lost a bit over 10 lbs and I'm feeling more like "me" than ever before -- this is a weight I'd be comfortable at.
I've been reading a lot about "raw foodism" and I'm pretty intrigued. I think I'll give it a try for a while to see how it goes. A basic diet of fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds, unprocessed. It seems to fit my mental/emotional state right now.
Hope all is well with everyone out there!
Cheers :)

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Great Work! I am so impressed! 7 days is amazing.

    ReplyDelete